Tuesday, September 11, 2012

iPads and Weddings

By Mobilista



One of the interesting aspects of my new job is the sudden interest in tech things. Before now, I barely had any interest in what model of phone an acquaintance was using or what technologies were behind it. Now, I almost can’t keep the interest under control. It is amazing how a simple change of job can change your focus.


I was a guest at a wedding ceremony the other day,and there was this well-dressed young man who went about taking pictures and recording video with an iPad. There he was, all looking fine and dandy holding up that huge screen all over the place. It looked like he was taking pictures with a tray! What happened to real cameras, or at least a phone that is compact enough to look like a camera. Which brings me to the subject of taking pictures with Blackberries. It just looks odd too, because you sort of hold them up in a vertical position. That would be apart from the few full-touchscreen BlackBerry models available. I’m sorry, but I have this mental picture of a camera being something that is held horizontally. You know, like a real camera. It is a picture that clashes with seeing both the iPad and a regular Blackberry being used as a camera at public functions.
Of course, the oddity of the iPad as a camera is simply more pronounced. I keep thinking that if the dude could carry something as large as an iPad to a wedding ceremony, surely he isn’t bothered about the inconvenience of carrying an extra gadget. Leave the iPad at home and take a proper camera along! Oh, but if it works for people, what can I say? All is good, but I won’t be caught dead at a public function taking pictures with an iPad. Oh no! It is so uncool.
Come to think of it, that wasn’t the first time I was seeing an iPad so used at a wedding. What is it with iPads and weddings in these parts? Is it a show-off thing? Am I missing something?


This piece was originally published on mobility.com.ng

No comments:

Post a Comment